Examples of Faith in Action
1. “…Where is your faith” (Luke 8:25)? “…You have so little faith…” (Matthew 16:8, NLT)! "…If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible” (Matthew 17:20, NLT). Adherence to a busy ‘good deeds’ schedule is tempting, so it must be rigorously examined for relevance (Luke 10:40-42). "Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, …in your name… [we have] done many might works…. And… I will say to them…, 'I never knew you…'” (Matthew 7:22-23, AMP).
2. "…It is impossible to please God without faith…” (Hebrews 11:6, NLT). “…Faith… [perceives] as real fact what is not revealed to the senses” (Hebrews 11:1 | 1 Peter 1:8, AMP). "…The word of God is… powerful…” (Hebrews 4:12) and we obey it (2 Chronicles 11:4) when love for God exists in the mind (Exodus 20:6 | Deuteronomy 7:9 | Daniel 9:4 | John 14:15, 21, 23-24). Some examples of faith in action follows.
- "…By faith… Abel brought a more acceptable offering to God than Cain did….
- …By faith… Noah built a large boat to save his family from the flood. He obeyed God, who warned him about things that had never happened before….
- …By faith… Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going. And even when he reached the land God promised him, he lived there by faith…” (Hebrews 11:4, 7-9, NLT).
- "...By faith… Abraham offered Isaac as a sacrifice when God was testing him… even though God had told him, ‘Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted’" (Hebrews 11:17-18, NLT).
- "It was by faith that Moses’ parents hid him for three months when he was born….
- It was by faith Moses… refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter… for he was looking ahead to his great reward.
- It was by faith that Moses left the land of Egypt…. [and] kept… on going because he kept his eyes on the one who is invisible…" (Hebrews 11:23-28, NLT).
3. Faith does not guarantee results, faith is the result—"...the substance of things hoped for..." (Hebrews 11:1).. Sometimes the results of faith in action is glorious (Hebrews 11:33-35); but at other times not glorious, humanly speaking (Hebrews 11:36-38 | Acts 7:51-59). Whatever the results, "…through your faith, God is protecting you by His power…. …There is a wonderful joy ahead, event though you must endure many trials…. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold…” (1 Peter 1:5-7, NLT).
Bro. Graham F. Watts, Sr.