Make Your Calling and Election Sure-Probation Soon Closes
1. "Those who love your laws have great peace of heart and mind AND do NOT stumble" (Psalm 119:165, TLB, CJB). "You don’t know what true peace is, nor what it means to be just and good. You continually do wrong and those who follow you won’t experience any peace either. It is because of all this evil that you aren’t finding God’s blessings; that’s why He doesn’t punish those who injure you. No wonder you are in darkness when you expected light. No wonder you are walking in the gloom" (Isaiah 59:8-9, TLB). But God is forgiving and wants to renew and restore us, (Jeremiah 30:17-18, TLB), that we might be known as "...Repairer of broken walls, Restorer of streets to live in" (Isaiah 58:12, CJB). Thus, God makes this promise: "The people who walk in darkness shall see a great Light—a Light that will shine on all those who live in the land of the shadow of death" (Isaiah 9:2, TLB). Is the glory—the light of God—shining upon and radiating from you (Exodus 34:29-30, TLB)?
2. Jesus said: "…I am the Light of the world. ...If you follow me, you won’t be stumbling through the darkness, for living light will flood your path" (John 8:12, NLT). "…My light will shine out for you just a little while longer. Walk in it while you can, and go where you want to go before the darkness falls, for then it will be too late for you to find your way" (John 12:35, NLT). This statement communicates a sense of urgency. "….Our lives are not our own. We are not able to plan our own course" (Jeremiah 10:23, NLT). "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys His servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the Lord and rely on your God. But watch out, you who live in your own light and warm yourselves by your own fires. This is the reward you will receive from me: You will soon fall down in great torment" (Isaiah 50:10-11, NLT). "…God is light, and there is no darkness in Him at all" (1 John 1:5, NLT). "…So live as people of light! For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true. Carefully determine what pleases the Lord. Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them" (Ephesians 5:8-11, NLT).
3. Of those who are in-Christ, He said: "…You are light for the world..." (Matthew 5:14, CJB, TLB). "...Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you..." (1 Corinthians 6:19-20, NLT). Regarding the ancient, physical temple, Moses received these core instructions:
- "Have the people of Israel build me a holy sanctuary so I can live among them" (Exodus 25:8, NLT).
- "Set up this Tabernacle according to the pattern you were shown on the mountain" (Exodus 26:30, NLT).
- "Command the people of Israel to bring you pure oil of pressed olives for the light, to keep the lamps burning continually" (Exodus 27:20, NLT).
- "...The fire on the altar must be kept buring; it must NEVER GO OUT. Each morning the priest will add fresh wood to the fire and arrange the burnt offering on it. He will then place the fat of the peace offerings on it. Remember, the fire must be kept burning on the altar at all times. It must NEVER go out" (Leviticus 6:12-14, NLT).
Is the divine flame continually lit and aglow in your life? Are you numbered among those, of whom it can be said: "Happy are those who hear the joyful call to worship, for they will walk in the light of your presence, Lord" (Psalm 89:15, NLT, TLB)? Does the world see Jesus—the True Light— in you every minute of every day or do they see "...you who live in your own light..." (Isaiah 50:11, NLT)? "Come descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord" (Isaiah 2:5, NLT, TLB)!
Bro. Graham F. Watts, Sr.