Prepare for Christ's Imminent Return
1. "…Remember what the holy prophets said long ago and what our Lord and Savior commanded through your apostles. Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. They will say, ‘What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again’? …But YOU must not forget… [that] a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day" (2 Peter 3:2-4, 8, NLT). "And this is the plan: at the right time He will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth" (Ephesians 1:10, NLT, CJB). "...This message about Jesus Christ has revealed [God's] plan for you Gentiles, a plan kept secret from the beginning of time" (Romans 16:25, NLT). The fulfillment of this plan will occur when Jesus issues the executive order: "Gather to Me my faithful, those who made a covenant with Me by sacrifice" (Psalm 50:5, CJB). Ask yourself: Am I "...ready... [for] the wedding feast..." (Matthew 25:1-10, CJB | Revelation 21:2-4, CJB)?
2. "While the scientists reassure us that "technological advances offer unprecedented opportunity..."; God tell us: "Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of the earth, but the glory of the Lord rises and appears over you" (Isaiah 60:2, NLT), whom He "...has set apart..." (Psalm 4:3, TLB). The presence of God's glory over you comes with a responsibility. "…Raise the alarm on my holy mountain! Let everyone tremble in fear because the day of the Lord is upon us” (Joel 2:1, NLT). "The Lord isn't really being slow about His promise, as some people think. No, He is being patient for your sake. He does NOT want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. But the day of the Lord will come unexpectedly as a thief, ...and the earth and everything on it will be found to deserve judgment” (2 Peter 3:9-10, NLT | 1 Thessalonians 5:2, NLT). The Day of the Lord is NOT far off when "...heaven [will open], and a horse... [will stand] there. Its rider was named Faithful and True, for He judges fairly and wages a righteous war" (Revelation 19:11, NLT, CJB). "The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed Him on white horses" (Revelation 19:14, NLT, CJB). Make no mistake about this future panoramic event. "...Its rider carried a bow, and a crown was placed on His head. He rode out to win battles and gain the victory" (Revelation 6:2, NLT, CJB)
3. Isaiah's contrasts between darkness and light is important. "...You are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own possession. ...He called you out of darkness into His wonderful light" (1 Peter 2:9). Follow the significance of the distinction between light and darkness. For the impenitent—those who remain in darkness—"that day—"...the Day of the Lord..."—is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness” (Zephaniah 1:15 | Revelation 6:14-17). But for the penitent—those who are in, and remain in light— "it shall be said in that day, ‘Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us. …We will be glad and rejoice in His salvation’” (Isaiah 25:9).
4. God is longsuffering with darkness (Numbers 14:18), but His patience is growing thin (Jeremiah 15:6, NLT). In this period of delay (Matthew 25:5-6, TLB), He appeals to us in the most passionate and affectionate ways: "Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don't repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches" (Revelation 2:5). "...What should we do" (Acts 2:37, CJB)?
5. The time for decided change is now! "Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them” (Ephesians 5:11, NLT). "The night, [of transgression], is far spent, the day, [of Christ’s return], is at hand. Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light—[Christ, (John 8:12), righteousness" (1 Corinthians 1:30 | Romans 13:12)].
6. Pay attention to the signs of times; they point to end of time (Matthew 24:1-14, CJB, TLB, NIV). "…There will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars (Revelation 6:12-13 | Acts 2:19-20, CJB, NKJV). Click the hyperlinks that follow and review selected contemporary events that align with prophesy—Darkening of the sun in 1780 and the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. [There is more]. ...The nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides.
7. The psychological impact of signs of the times will adversely affect humanity]. "People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken. Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand and look up, for your salvation is near” (Luke 21:25-28, NLT). Dear friends, Revelation 6:14 is the coronation, the final event, of the sixth seal. To signify its importance to Christ’s followers and guarantee that they do not loose sight of this culminating event, He reminds them about it in a poignant way. “…I am coming soon: [meaning suddenly or quickly], bringing my reward with me to pay all people according to their deeds” (Revelation 22:12 & 20, NLT).
8. "Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble" (2 Peter 1:10, NKJV). “So be prepared, for you don’t know what day your Lord is coming” (Matthew 24:42, TLB). "And since you don’t know when it will happen, stay alert. Be on the watch for my return” (Mark 13:33, TLB). "Be sober, be vigilant…” (1 Peter 5:8). "…Hold on to what you have so that no one will take away your crown" (Revelation 3:11, NLT). "…Blessed are those who obey the words of prophecy written in this book" (Revelation 22:7, NLT).
Bro. Graham F. Watts, Sr.